Friday, April 22, 2011

I am Fred

Many of you are wondering about my new picture on Facebook. Many of you know that I am A) Never so dapper and B) hardly ever look so smart. No, it isn't me. It isn't Doppleganger month and it isn't wear a Bow Tie month. What it is is this:

I want you to vote for this man.

I also want you to read this even if you don't live where I live and think this is a campaign ad.

Here is why. In recent months we have seen the effects of an increasingly extreme element reaching deep into the  political landscape. Attacks on our teachers, public servants and education itself are pouring out of the Trojan horse of the revolution that replaced hope. Constitutional principles like representative government, separation of church and state and free speech are being replaced with the viewpoints of a small but activist minority of extremists who wish to foist their own beliefs on everyone.

So who is this man and why am I telling people who live far away to vote for him?

Meet Fred Sebulske. He is a retired teacher and a brilliant actor and moving director. He is also the Founder of Actors' Theatre in Grand Rapids, Michigan. You probably haven't heard of him, but in an area that has long been known for its conservatism and homogeneity, this man recognised that even here there were voices, faces and souls that needed to be heard, seen, recognized, tolerated and even embraced. In years past he and his theatre spoke eloquently to those that were in the minority and convincingly to those that were believed to be in the majority. He did so quietly, relentlessly and with great integrity and class.

The world changed. The area that he taught and directed in is much more like the world he showed and imagined. The theatre companies who used to be safe are now producing daring, controversial and relevant theatre. Even theatre in faith based colleges like Calvin, Cornerstone and Aquinas are doing diversified, meaningful productions and much credit goes to Fred. You would think his work is done.

But in this new age there is also fear. There are those who would have us go back in time. There are those who would advocate for a narrow view of humanity and community. There are those who believe a  college that is paid for by all should hold the views of a few. There are those who believe that extremism has some sort of good relationship with liberty.

You may not care about theatre. This isn't really about that. It is just a metaphor. The whole world is the stage and well... you ought to know the rest. I do because this man taught it to me. I also know that the little dramas, comedies, musicals, etc. that he and his people brought to the stage made up the powerful messages that inform my own beliefs, my voice and my need to keep it moving forward.

The political arena has become theatre in many ways and, like when he started Actors', it is time for a voice to be the voice of 'All'. The voice that believes that education, politics and our community is to be enjoyed by all equally needs to be heard. Fred is that voice. I am another Fred. So, I hope, are you.

If you vote in Kent County, please vote for Fred Sebulske. If you want to know more please visit http://www.sebulskeforall.org/ and if you want my opinion on the rest of the field I also recommend former GR and Lowell school chief Bert Bleke. Two very different men who share one thing in common: the belief that education should be for all.

If you do not vote in Kent County, please know that there are many Freds out there. There also many who represent fear, divisiveness, narrowness and would use government, education and democracy to take us back to a time that enslaves all and enriches a few. Find the Fred in your neck of the woods and vote for him or her. The situation we find our selves in is not because of the people who we believe are against us but because we who are Freds did not vote. Use your vote. Use your voice. Find your Fred.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father grew up on a dirt farm, as he referred to it. He lost his mother when he was four. He, with his brother & sister worked the farm for whatever sustenance it provided. He walked 11 miles one way to school, 22 miles per day through all of Michigan's inclement weather. When his father remarried a women with more children, he was told no more school, he must work on the farm only. When he expressed his desire to continue his schooling, his father said no and gave him to another family. My father slept on a cot in a stranger's house and worked for his keep. A day with a crust of bread was a good day, because he could attend another day of school. My father graduated high school, worked his way through college achieved his teaching certificate, served his country in WWII, married and raised a family, taught high school, night courses, coached, painted during the summers, until he could afford to get his masters degree, followed by his Ph.D. in the Philosophy of Education from the University of Michigan. He spent 40 years teaching college students how to teach others. Yes, it completed his circle of life. He sent his teachers out into their careers in hopes that they would encourage someone who might otherwise be overlooked. My father dedicated his life to teaching and education for all.

    Fred Sebulske and Bert Bleke are running for the GRCC board to ensure that higher education remains open for all. I feel my father smiling down upon me every time I muster the courage to knock on yet another door, so that I may campaign for Fred, for my father, for my son and for us all.
    April 29, 2011 4:20 PM

    ReplyDelete